Friday, August 3, 2012

R Grammar Gaffes Ruining The Language? Maybe Not

Here is an interesting article from NPR. I have to say that in many ways I agree with it. I remember when I taught as an adjunct at a community college and I would have students who wrote papers that were technically flawless, but also dry, dull, and lifeless. I much preferred papers that had a strong voice, interesting content, and a sense of adventure, even if they had some grammatical flaws. There is, of course, a time and a place for "correct" usage and I try to instill that knowledge in my students. I think I might share this article with my seventh graders this year and see what they have to say about it.

R Grammar Gaffes Ruining The Language? Maybe Not by Linton Weeks


What do you think? I would really like to get a sense of where others stand in this concern.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm...I feel like just letting grammar completely go is a bad thing, but I guess if we did then one day no one would know the difference. I think so many people don't know the difference already that it feels like a losing battle. I'm still willing to try and battle though!